K.I. T- your spiritual life.
A lot of people ask questions like “How am I supposed to trust and believe God when I can’t see Him?” I would answer this question by saying that the same way you believe that you have a brain without you seeing it physically before or the same way you believe that you are a girl and there is nothing any medical doctor can tell you to make you stop believing; that is the same way you are supposed to believe that God exists. Have you ever taken time to look around you to see the things this God created that proves His existence? Things like the sun, flowers and even you! If not, why not look around you and pay special attention to the way God is revealing Himself to you. Jesus said that “I am the way, the truth and the life and no one gets to the Father except through me.” You can’t believe that God exists without you believing in Jesus because no one gets to the Father except through Him. John 3:16 says “God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
Have you ever seen any man that a good, kind and wealthy king will give a gift freely and will reject it? Most likely not. So what is stopping you from receiving the gift of the King of Kings? John 1:12 says “To all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.” UNTIL YOU RECEIVE JESUS AS YOUR LORD AND YOUR SAVIOUR, YOU WON’T ENJOY LIFE NEITHER WILL YOU BE ABLE TO LIVE A BALANCED LIFE because Jesus said in John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows.)” All you need to do to become a child of God is to receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. You might be thinking that He can’t save you because of the sins you’ve committed or because of your terrible past but I want to tell you that He can. He said in Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. ” All you need to do is to confess your sins to Him and ask Him to forgive you of them. Tell Him that you believe that He died for you and that you accept Him as your Lord and Saviour. And that is it, like magic you are already part of God’s children. I will advice that if you have just taken that prayer, you should find a Bible-believing Church around you to join, so you will find people that love Jesus like you do and they will help you to grow in your faith.
Now, to those of us that are already children of God and wondering how we can grow spiritually or are just thinking how we can get more of God. The answer to your question is “seek God”. His word says that “I am a rewarder of those that diligently seek me.” He also said that I have not told the sons of Jacob to seek me in vain.” He also said that “if you seek me with all your heart, mind and soul, you will find me.” Until you start seeking God you will not find Him.
Mathew 7:7 says “Ask, and it shall be given you: Seek, and you shall find; Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” When you are seeking for something, you don’t care about any other thing at that particular time except for what you are seeking. To seek God is to spend quality time with God. Time is life and God wants you to spend your life on him. God wants the first portion of everything you have not just your money alone but also your time. The Psalmist said that “early will I seek you o God.” (paraphrased).
Joyce Meyer said in one of her sermons, “Getting full of God first before getting full of any other thing helps you to be better prepared for the day” (paraphrased). All that matters to God is that you let Him know that He has first place in your life and the best way to show Him that is to spend quality time with Him. Psalm 91:1 says “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty (whose power no foe can withstand). UNTIL YOU LEARN TO SPEND TIME WITH GOD YOU WILL BE AT THE MERCY OF THE DEVIL. In 1 Samuel 19:1-2 David had been running away from Saul who wanted to kill him and in the second verse Jonathan told him to “dwell in a secret place, and hide himself.” Jonathan didn’t know that David didn’t need any physical secret place because he was already dwelling in the secret place of God and he needed not be afraid of what Saul could do to him. Are you in the secret place of God? Only a man that spends time with God can dwell in His secret place.
I believe that as a child of God you have just one life; which is your spiritual life. What happens to your spiritual life determines what happens to other aspects of your life because the spiritual controls the physical. You need to get to the point in your life where God becomes the center of your life and every other thing revolves around Him. When you do so, it becomes easy for you to balance your life. The Bible says in John 15:5 “I am the Vine, you are the branches; whosoever lives in me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me (cut off from vital union with Me) you can do nothing.” Be committed to God and He will be committed to you. We will be considering three things that will help you to grow spiritually; your worship life, your word life and your prayer life
- YOUR WORSHIP LIFE: “Worship is to quicken your conscience by the holiness of God, to purge your imagination by the beauty of God, to open your heart to the love of God, and to devote your will to the purpose of God.”- Temple.
“Worship is trying to please God because you love Him.”- Rick Joyner
I want you to please take a few minutes to meditate on those definitions of worship and I pray that the Holy Spirit will interpret them to you Himself.
Worship is not something you do when you enter into a Church on Sunday. It should be something that should be your lifestyle. Worship ushers you into the presence of God. The Bible says in Psalm 22:3 “But you are holy, you that inhabit the praises of Israel.” Worship helps you to constantly dwell in the presence of God and in the presence of God there is fullness of joy. Romans 12:1 says “I beseech you therefore brethren, by the mercies of God that you present your bodies holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable act of worship.” Living your life for God is your worship to Him. When you worship God, He reveals His person to you.
One thing king David knew how to do is to worship God and that is why God established his throne forever. How often do you worship God? Decide today to be a worshipper not just in words but also in deeds.
2. YOUR WORD LIFE: God’s word to us is His love letter to us. How much time do you spend studying and meditating on the word of God? The same way you read the letter a loved one writes to you over and over again is the same way you are expected to spend time studying the word of God. The Psalmist said “Your word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against you.” It is easy to sin against God if you don’t know His word. One best way to know God the more and understand Him the more is by spending time studying His word. Your faith in God can’t grow if you don’t study His word.
Rick Joyner said ” True faith has nothing to fear from examination; it has everything to gain. If you truly examine Jesus (through his word), not just intellectual concepts, the more closely you look at Him, the more your heart will be stirred to believe. Even Napoleon, after reading the Gospel of John, stated that if Jesus was not the Son of God, then the person who wrote that gospel was! He realized that the story he was reading was far beyond any human invention. Those who truly examine Him always find the same thing. Those who don’t examine Him will be much more subject to future doubts and therefore much more prone to fall away from the truth (Jesus Christ).
God’s word gives you direction and keeps you from making mistakes in life. The psalmist said “Your word O God is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” It isn’t enough for you to read the Bible, do you have the Bible in your life?
Zacharias Tanee Fomum said “Any command or example of the Bible that you have obeyed consistently until it has become a part of your life is the Bible in your life. The only Bible you will take with you when you leave this world will be the Bible in your life, and that will affect your eternal rank significantly.”Below are the things I think you can do that will help your word life:
– Have a specific time that you spend studying the word of God and be consistent with it.
– Have a favourite place in your house that you can go to to study God’s word.
– Take away all distractions most especially your phone when studying the word of God. You can’t listen to God and man at the same time.
– You can start by studying part of the Bible that you know will help your present state in life. Take for example, if you need wisdom “Proverbs” is a good book of the Bible to study. Studying areas that you need in your life will keep you from getting bored and also help you look forward to the time you spend with God. The Gospel of Jesus Christ (Mathew, Mark, Luke and John) are also great books of the Bible to read.
– Endeavour to have a book where you can write down the things God is teaching you during your time of studying His word. It helps you not to forget them and also to keep track of your knowledge of the word of God.
– Try to study at least three chapters of the Bible a day. If you read three chapters a day, you will be able to read the Bible through in a year.
-Try to memorize one verse of the Bible a week. That means that by the end of the year you would have memorized fifty verses.
– If you find it difficult to understand the version of the Bible you are using, you can get a simpler version just to aid your understanding of God’s word. You can also get a concordance or a Bible search app that can help you to search for verses of the Bible you might be looking for and also help you to understand words of the Bible you might not really understand.
– Also try to invest your money in buying good Christian books both fiction and non-fiction. It helps you to gain from the knowledge these authors have about God. But be careful to check if the things that they write are in accordance with the Bible because the Bible is our standard.
– Lastly, anytime you want to read the scripture, tell God to open His word to you and give you a deeper understanding of His word. And peradventure you read any part of the Bible and you do not understand it, you can ask your Pastor or any other believer that you feel has a better understanding of the scripture than you do.
God’s word to some people is in Revelations 3:15-16 which says “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would rather prefer that you are cold or hot. So then because you are lukewarm, neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of my mouth.”
Nothing of value comes without a price. Your spiritual growth comes with a price tag attached to it. You need to start paying the price of seeking God and don’t be satisfied with where you are because there are still depths in God you’ve not gotten to yet. I pray that as you begin to pay the price of seeking God diligently, you will find God and all that is in him.
I will love to end by saying that EVERYTHING YOU NEED OR WILL EVER NEED IS IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD. The next time I will be writing to you, I will be writing on “K.I.T- your spiritual life (Prayer).” Till then, keep seeking God.
I love you but not as much as Christ does.